Providing You With A Strong Defense Against Criminal Charges
Being arrested and charged with a crime can be a frightening and stressful ordeal. Saying the wrong thing to the police or going to court without an attorney can make a difficult situation worse.
If you or a family member is accused of a crime, Riley & Ahler P.C. is here to help. Our criminal defense lawyers step in to protect your rights. We make every effort to avoid a conviction or soften the consequences.
Call us right away at 219-964-4156 for a free consultation. We defend the accused in Jasper County and the surrounding counties of Northwest Indiana.
We Know The Stakes Are High
A conviction can be punished by fines, jail or prison. There may be other consequences such as loss of your gun rights, strict probation and a criminal record that makes it harder to get a job. Our defense attorneys handle the full spectrum of misdemeanor and felony crimes (state or federal charges), including:
- Drunk driving (OWI)
- Traffic violations
- Drug possession or distribution
- Shoplifting and theft offenses
- Assault or domestic violence
- Weapon offenses
- Fraud and white-collar crimes
- Major felonies, such as robbery, sex crimes or murder
Our lawyers are well-versed in the Indiana sentencing guidelines for any offense you face, including aggravating and mitigating circumstances that may apply to your case.
We Can Make A Difference In Your Outcome
Under the Indiana criminal sentencing guidelines, the courts have wide discretion. For example, the prison term for a Level 3 felony can range from three years to 16 years. If your case is heard by a “hanging judge,” you could be punished very harshly compared to another person facing similar charges. On the other hand, judges have the latitude to be lenient in the right circumstances, rather than imposing a rigid mandatory sentence.
That is where our criminal defense lawyers come in. We work hard to protect you from the worst consequences of an arrest.
- We regularly convince prosecutors and judges to dismiss the case, reduce the charges, lessen the penalties or grant a suspended sentence that avoids jail and a criminal record.
- We are also trial lawyers who are prepared to fight for your freedom in the courtroom if a plea deal is not an option or not in your best interests.
- Our firm handles criminal appeals if you believe you were unfairly convicted or sentenced too harshly.
Let The Professionals Help
The criminal justice system is too complex to handle on your own. We know the law and the legal strategies. We know the judges and prosecuting attorneys involved in your case. No matter what the charges are, you can count on Riley & Ahler P.C. for honest counsel and aggressive advocacy.